July 10, 2005

Honking off the sister-in-law.

I have not pissed off any relatives in a while. I guess I was due. (sigh)

Brought our dog over to the Parents house to go swimming with the kids. SIL and brother had their two already there. Not a problem (I thought) Let 'em sniff each other thru the fence. If there was a Kujo-like reaction, we would just keep them separate until we left. Well as dogs do, they barked at each other, which sent SIL into paranoid-dog-mommy mode. (can you guess that, she has no kids yet?)

Well as the afternoon went along, brother and I decided to introduce the dogs away from their "mommy", things were fine. (Heck they were fine with a 2 and 5 year old running around all afternoon)

Things were fine until "mommy" came out to check progress. Her female dog and ours (female as well) decided to tangle briefly. (Alpha female thing dogs do.) This totally freaked her out, dogs were fine just testing each other to put the pecking order in place.

Eventually after coaxing her into a state of calmness (the SIL) we got the dogs in the back yard to run around (without the kids in the way) and play. Our dog was content to hang out by me, but brother kept trying to get them to play together, which worked fine for a little while, then girls decided to tangle again.

Well, that was enough for SIL, just keeping them separate was not enough anymore, she wanted to go home. They took their dogs and left. I saw her on the IM and asked if things were alright, but she hung up on me, so I am assuming things did not get any better even though they left.

I have had pets and when dogs really hate another dog they are very vicious. The girls were just jockeying for position like huskies like to do. Lots of noise and slobber, but no real biting and no injuries. My dog is so laid back, I should have been the one going "Oh my poor doggie!", but they are dogs, they do things the doggy way, not the human way.

I hope they do not have real children any time soon. I think she needs to work through some stuff. She was more worried about her dogs than our kids. Still, I did not and do not want her to get mad with me. I suppose it is her decision in the end though, eh?

1 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I get so frustrated when people act as if their pets are more important than people. It seems like she has a weird priority issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home